Give Yourself a Glow, Girl
- If you are pale, I’ve found that Clairins Instant Self Tanning Gel works best. The more pale your skin, the harder it is to get a non-streaky, natural look which is why I like this product — its gel texture allows for an easy application, goes on smooth, and isn’t too dark. This is also a good product to start with if you are a beginner to self-tanners.
- If you naturally have a little olive/yellow in your skin tone or feel like you’re a veteraned user, my favorite is St. Tropez Mousse Bronzer since it has a little more color to it than the Clarin’s product but still goes on smooth and streak-free if you know what you’re doing. The foam liquifies as soon it it hits the skin and the faster you rub this product in the better — more natural — it will look.
- Even though the other two can also work on your face, I like using Lancome Face Flash Bronzer since this product has SPF 15 in it — it’s perfect to rub on your face before hitting the beach or lounging poolside. Also, I love the immediate glow this product gives.
- I like a lot of different powder bronzers but more recently have been using one by NARS. My only suggestion with powder bronzers is to make sure not to get one too dark for your skin tone. Another tip, only apply where the sun would hit you naturally (cheeks, bridge of nose, forehead, chin) and top off by adding a pink shade of blush to the apples of your cheek for dimension.
Rub A Dub Dub
After taking a shower this morning I realized I’ve found a very satisfying mixture of products I’ve been using lately — so I thought I would share what’s been so great about them.
- My hair is dry and tends to break easily but its hard to find a good shampoo & conditioner that will help split-ends and breakage without weighing it down since it’s also fine in texture. However, I’ve been using Davines Mulu shampoo & conditioner and I’m in love with it. I haven’t found a shampoo I’ve been completely satisfied with in….well…ever. Plus, the light, powdery scent is really lovely.
- I’ve always been a Dove unscented bar soap girl — it’s gentle and doesn’t dry out my already dry skin but recently I switched and started using L’Occitane Shea Butter Extra Gentle Soap and wow! It’s five times more expensive than Dove but totally worth it. I do think I’ll go back to Dove in the summer but this Shea butter enriched soap saved my winter skin for sure.
- I’m a huge fan of exfoliation. In fact, I would guess that I probably exfoliate more than anyone I know. Face, body, soles of feet — I’m always scrubbing to reveal new, fresh skin. Removing the layer of dead, dry surface skin enables my moisturizers to work better since it allows them to penetrate and not lay on the surface — I mean, that last sentence alone has made self-diagnose myself as an addict of exfoliation. That being said — I’ve been really into Bliss’ Super Minty Soap’n Scrub. It’s incredibly refreshing and makes my skin feel amazing. Highly recommended.
- I grew up with my mom & step-mom constantly throwing sunscreen on me and lecturing me on the importance of taking care of my skin or else the god forsaken wrinkles will find me — ahhh! So much drama for a little kid to know or even care about but as an adult I am so happy I was taught the importance of this. It not only has made me develop good habits but it has made me curious about beauty products in general. I’m always using new skin creams and fun beauty products but for the past few years I’ve been using a drug-store bought face wash by Aveeno. It really does a great job at removing makeup and impurities as well as being gentle on my skin. Such a great product for the price and since I throw my money into creams, oils, and makeup — it’s nice to pinch some pennies somewhere in my routine.
- Again, with exfoliation — obsessed. That being said, I may have tried hundreds of body exfoliators but I haven’t tried a ton of face exfoliators. I guess when you find something that works, you stick with it. I’ve been using Cliniques Exfoliating Scrub for over 10 years now. Get it. Love it. You’re welcome.
Davines Melu Shampoo and Conditioner Set (8.45 Oz Each) / Clinique Clinique Exfoliating Scrub / Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser, 6 Ounce / Bliss Super Minty Soap & Scrub (8 oz) / L’Occitane Savon Extra-Doux Verveine, (Verbena Soap, Extra Gentle), 8.8-Ounce Bar
My Love of Argan Oil Continues…
Yes, I already wrote about my serious love of argan oil after I started using it almost a year ago but I am still so enthralled in this product that I find myself buying products just because they have this miracle oil in them. I’m already a Kiehl’s lover so when shopping for my all time favorite body cream and I saw they had hair and body products with argan oil — I had to test them out. Obviously.
My quick summery:
- The shampoo and conditioner I found to only be MEH on the scale of BOO to YAY — a.k.a 5 on a scale of 1 through 10. Here’s why: even though my hair is dry, especially in the winter, it is also fine so these products were a little too heavy. I did like using the conditioner as a once a week treatment rather than everyday moisturizer.
- The dry oil wasn’t much to swoon over either. Instead, I love using Loreal’s EverSleek Precious Oil Treatment on my hair as a finishing product after it’s styled.
- The body cream, however, was great but I’m still hooked on their Creme de Corps body moisturizer. So goes the saying when something’s not broke…