If you’re looking for a hair serum to protect your hair from damage, I’ve found Alterna Anti-aging Overnight Rescue to be a total hair saver. I mentioned which shampoo & conditioner I’ve been loving lately but as an added bonus — I sometimes use this overnight rescue to protect my ends and smooth out damage. Like the other hair products I use, I love this because it never weighs my hair down or leaves residue. Hey, every girl needs a little help from time to time…
You can find this product at any Sephora or you can be lazy like me and order online.
This springy weather has me in the mood to shop. First up, bags. I recently organized my handbags and realized I haven’t bought a new one in quiet a while. I think this is mainly because I tend to purchase classic styles that I never get sick of and colors that never look dated but I’m wanting to break out of my love-of-basics mold. So far the top brands I’ve been admiring are Lizzie Fortunato, 10 Crosby Derek Lam, Loeffler Randall, Steven Alan, Moyna, and Foley + Corinna. They have the perfect edgy mix of pony hair, beads, mixed patterns, or colorfulness that I’m looking for and that I know I won’t grow tired of too quickly. Yay, for warm weather!
Rub A Dub Dub
After taking a shower this morning I realized I’ve found a very satisfying mixture of products I’ve been using lately — so I thought I would share what’s been so great about them.
- My hair is dry and tends to break easily but its hard to find a good shampoo & conditioner that will help split-ends and breakage without weighing it down since it’s also fine in texture. However, I’ve been using Davines Mulu shampoo & conditioner and I’m in love with it. I haven’t found a shampoo I’ve been completely satisfied with in….well…ever. Plus, the light, powdery scent is really lovely.
- I’ve always been a Dove unscented bar soap girl — it’s gentle and doesn’t dry out my already dry skin but recently I switched and started using L’Occitane Shea Butter Extra Gentle Soap and wow! It’s five times more expensive than Dove but totally worth it. I do think I’ll go back to Dove in the summer but this Shea butter enriched soap saved my winter skin for sure.
- I’m a huge fan of exfoliation. In fact, I would guess that I probably exfoliate more than anyone I know. Face, body, soles of feet — I’m always scrubbing to reveal new, fresh skin. Removing the layer of dead, dry surface skin enables my moisturizers to work better since it allows them to penetrate and not lay on the surface — I mean, that last sentence alone has made self-diagnose myself as an addict of exfoliation. That being said — I’ve been really into Bliss’ Super Minty Soap’n Scrub. It’s incredibly refreshing and makes my skin feel amazing. Highly recommended.
- I grew up with my mom & step-mom constantly throwing sunscreen on me and lecturing me on the importance of taking care of my skin or else the god forsaken wrinkles will find me — ahhh! So much drama for a little kid to know or even care about but as an adult I am so happy I was taught the importance of this. It not only has made me develop good habits but it has made me curious about beauty products in general. I’m always using new skin creams and fun beauty products but for the past few years I’ve been using a drug-store bought face wash by Aveeno. It really does a great job at removing makeup and impurities as well as being gentle on my skin. Such a great product for the price and since I throw my money into creams, oils, and makeup — it’s nice to pinch some pennies somewhere in my routine.
- Again, with exfoliation — obsessed. That being said, I may have tried hundreds of body exfoliators but I haven’t tried a ton of face exfoliators. I guess when you find something that works, you stick with it. I’ve been using Cliniques Exfoliating Scrub for over 10 years now. Get it. Love it. You’re welcome.
Davines Melu Shampoo and Conditioner Set (8.45 Oz Each) / Clinique Clinique Exfoliating Scrub / Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser, 6 Ounce / Bliss Super Minty Soap & Scrub (8 oz) / L’Occitane Savon Extra-Doux Verveine, (Verbena Soap, Extra Gentle), 8.8-Ounce Bar
Mad Men Inspired
Banana Republic and Estee Lauder has collaborated with AMC’s Mad Med series to define their 2013 spring collections. Banana Republic used their mod 1960’s fashion as inspiration for some of their new styles and Estee Lauder took a cue from the women’s on-screen beauty and launched a beautiful line of makeup products that are perfect for the spring season. Personally, I’m not excited about the BR line only because it’s not really my style however, I am looking forward to checking out the Estee Lauder collection.
Just another example on how collaboration is the new competition.
The Tucked Bun
DIY Your Valentine’s Day
Who knew Mason jars were the perfect accessory for your Valentine’s day…cookies, hot cocoa for 2, and chic rustic vases all perfect gifts for Valentine’s Day. Grab some Mason jars and read about my DIY’s on TODAY. Everyone loves a handmade gift!
Getting my Kicks
Maison Martin Margiela leather shoes / NIKE wedge heels / Elizabeth and James metallic shoes / Ash hidden wedge sneaker / Rachel Zoe high top shoes / Sandro High Top Sneakers
Besides the above here are a few more items I’ve saved online & waiting for a sale (shh!):
My Love of Argan Oil Continues…
Yes, I already wrote about my serious love of argan oil after I started using it almost a year ago but I am still so enthralled in this product that I find myself buying products just because they have this miracle oil in them. I’m already a Kiehl’s lover so when shopping for my all time favorite body cream and I saw they had hair and body products with argan oil — I had to test them out. Obviously.
My quick summery:
- The shampoo and conditioner I found to only be MEH on the scale of BOO to YAY — a.k.a 5 on a scale of 1 through 10. Here’s why: even though my hair is dry, especially in the winter, it is also fine so these products were a little too heavy. I did like using the conditioner as a once a week treatment rather than everyday moisturizer.
- The dry oil wasn’t much to swoon over either. Instead, I love using Loreal’s EverSleek Precious Oil Treatment on my hair as a finishing product after it’s styled.
- The body cream, however, was great but I’m still hooked on their Creme de Corps body moisturizer. So goes the saying when something’s not broke…